As so many of us begin to navigate in a new world, it feels like a fresh start. It may seem daunting and overwhelming.
Here are a few tips to get you started as you navigate a new chapter of your life.
- First, learn to navigate technology. It’s a must in our new way of life and one that everyone has to do if they want to get ahead. There’s the old “word of mouth” that works for many people, but only if the following has already been established, or the reputation has already been established. And even then, it's not enough! Begin to learn the ways in which you can reach your audience: Instagram (IG), YouTube, Facebook, Pinterest, TikTok, etc.
- Second, think big. If you stay with what you know, you aren’t expanding your base. The same way medicine is constantly learning and changing, so is the wonderful world of social media. Think big. If we think small, we get small results. Thinking big translates to feeling worthy of being a player in the big league as well and commanding respect for your product. Don’t settle for less.
- Third, make the social media profiles help your efforts. These social media profiles have tools (algorithms) that you can use to find when people are most engaged in your posts. IG has a way to look at these algorithms in your profile. And we’re only talking ONE social media profile here. The more social media presence you have and the more you follow these algorithms, the better chance you have of being seen.
- Fourth, never stop learning. Just as medicine and the need to keep informed keeps advancing, so does our way of communicating and reaching audiences. This is the opportunity to learn from others, research, take courses, watch videos on how-to’s, etc. The work never ends.
- Fifth, get a website! If you don't have on already, you need one. You can start a free website (the domain won't be what you want, but it'll get you started) with many platforms out there (Wix, Squarespace, Shopify, etc.). Having a website portrays a professional standing in your field. Doesn't have to be much, but it should be a landing page for clients to learn more about you and your product.
The psychology of marketing hasn’t changed much, just the platform in which it’s used. It’s tweaked for every different platform and there are studies that help us see how it may affect our business, for better or worse.
Take a DEEP breath and start today. Every day is an opportunity to learn, grow and build your business to what you want it to be. :-)